REWIND: Ever since I was nine years old I wanted to serve a mission. When I reached the age of availability, I struggled. I knew I wanted to serve still but didn't understand why I was feeling so hesitant about it. I kept myself busy and active serving a mission was still in my mind. I turned to reliable sources to help me figure out what I was supposed to do with this decision, to serve or not to serve. The one source I kept going back to, was my Patriarchal Blessing, which only told me (I paraphrase) that "if I have the desire to serve, the decision would be mine and the spirit will confirm to me the right time." I thought "that could be anytime!" And didn't understand how that was supposed to help me.
My 23rd birthday hit and I still didn't really know what to do. I started to prepare for the temple, in receiving my endowment. At this time I still wasn't sure if my time for a mission was just yet and I wasn't getting married, so my chances for the temple was slim. With LOTS of prayer and fasting I knew I was prepared and ready. March 24, 2010 Kevin and I received our endowment. A mission was still very heavy on mind. Internally my turning point of making the final choice was when I was watching Kevin prepare for his mission. Filling out the papers, the interviews, the actual call. I was living through him. He left and I was still . . . just there. I was in the temple every week, serving, that I know, is what helped me recognize the promptings of the spirit even more when I FINALLY knew that it was TIME to serve!
FAST FORWARD: My First area in the mission. College Park YSA. Sister Whitney Christensen and I were in the MTC together, after only six weeks of training (out of the 12 week training program) we were made companions.Two new greenies, "what are we doing?!!" A couple weeks into the transfer we were struggling to find people of our own age to teach. I have read back on my journal entries that have reminded me of this time. We had just finished eating dinner with some members, who gave us the best pep talk of my life! We jumped on our bikes to ride to go knock doors. The words out of my mouth "Sister, the first person we talk to will be golden!" We turn the corner and continue on. (Insert picture here, that I wish I had lol) The first person we came across about two min later was a tall skinny white kid with sunglasses on and a del taco bag in his hand. We stopped our bikes and talked to him, giving him a pass-a-long card to break the ice. "I've been looking for this church!" -Kent Miller. He knew about the Mormon's. which was a surprise to us, being from Mississippi. But he knew people that were members of the church. He agreed to let us come and teach him.
![]() |
| May 22, 2011
|
Kent Miller moved home- to Mississippi September 2011. Due the change that took place inside of Kent, it inspired his parents to look into the church and learn. Devote southern baptist, they regconized the truth but not without struggle. September 17, 2011- Kent baptized his mom and dad, Kenny and Beverly Miller. (the burnette Elder is my cousin!! keepin the family!) The Story gets better. . so stay with me here. We kept in touch the rest of my mission. Kent stayed strong and even became the best member missionary, by opening his mouth, by telling his friends about the church. Kent prepared to serve a mission himself. With me being home from the mission we always talked. I kept close tabs on him and his call. It came, he was called to serve in October 2012. What an incredible phone call, as I listened through the phone as he read that outloud. California Long Beach Mission. I couldn't hold back the tears of excitment and gratitude.
Sister Whitney Christensen and I made a trip to Mississippi. . . ^ The Call.
![]() |
| October 27, 2012- Baton Rouge Temple- Kent Miller Endowment |
![]() |
| Kenny and Beverly Miller Endowment and Sealed as Family October 27, 2012 |
I consider Kent Miller a blessing cus he is one of the many reasons I was supposed to go on a mission. I know that I was listening to the spirit to know the right time and I am grateful that I had the courage to go at the right time. Kent was living in Florida going to school at Full-Sail. He had moved there 6 months prior to us meeting him. The day we meet him he was praying to God to send him "help" "light" "guidance". His prayers were answered the moment two "Mormon girls on bikes" stopped and opened their mouths.
February 23, 2013-
And now it is Elder Miller's turn.






I LOVE THIS SOOOOOO MUCH!!!!! Marry him maybe? Hehe
ReplyDeleteSo awesome!! It is amazing to see your hard work in action and how much someone can influence so many others for good! Good work my friend! I agree with the previous comment, marriage in the future? :) Seriously though, I hope you are doing well.
ReplyDelete